Monday, December 13, 2010

… a little sigh … a lot of snow!




Well, I finally made it.


After  cancellations, & reservations on three different flights trying to get from point 'A' to point 'B' (Tucson, AZ to Minneapolis, MN). . . I'm finally here. Whew(!)


I got the dreaded call on Saturday afternoon - telling me they had cancelled the flight I had reservations for (since it had to connect through Chicago - & the big storm was headed towards the area). . . & then I was told that everything was sold out & the soonest they could get me here to Minneapolis was late Monday evening. Problem was that I needed to be there no later than Sunday evening so I could be there on Monday to be there for my brother - now that he is at home. (. . . a 2 story home. . .)  I took the reservation . . . but I knew that I needed to get there earlier. So after scouring the Southwest website - I found that there was one more flight on Sunday - leaving from Phoenix - that wasn't sold out - but only had 2 seats left. So, I called Southwest (again) & after being on hold for what felt like forever - I got the very last seat. . . on the very last flight leaving Phoenix. The Phoenix airport is quite a bit farther than flying out of Tucson - but it sure is nice to have the option once in awhile!


I got to the airport in Phoenix several hours before my flight. . . (just in case!), & while I was waiting, I sat & stitched & ended up getting interviewed by a local news station! A lady started up a conversation with me about the delays & when she heard that I had come up from Tucson because my flights had been cancelled - & that I needed to get out that day (Sunday) - suddenly there was a cameraman, a microphone & lights! Then after she asked all her questions & got all my info, the cameraman asked if he could take a couple more takes of me sitting there doing stitchery. Let's just say, I could never e-v-e-r be an actress. I never was so nervous doing stitchery in my life!   (. . . & usually stitchery is so relaxing!)


I woke up to the view above from my window. . . the rising sun on a lot of snow!. . . That's a lot of effort you see there in the 2 - 4 ft. piles of snow that was shoveled, blown with a snow blower, & then repeated about every 2 hours as the snow was falling that fast. (Then. . . after most folks had their driveways all cleared - it seems that's when the snow clearing trucks come to plow the streets. . . & then there's a huge pile of snow at the end of everyone's driveway. . .! Again!)


We had a good day though - Scott my brother, made it down stairs. . . (a huge thing when you've just had your hip replaced 5 days ago!) & when the nurse came - he got a good report. (. . . even after he almost fainted from having to stand so long when he had his surgery dressing changed.) So, we are taking it a little bit each day. Tomorrow I get to venture out a bit & drive over to Starbucks to get him his new favorite - the Caramel Apple Spice drink. He said it's like drinking a caramel covered granny smith apple. Umm. . . yum. I may just have to break my little (ha!) Mocha habit & try one myself! . . . & with all the cold & snow . . . I'm sure it will even taste better than ever!


I will try to get some more photos up in a day or two. I didn't get any outside because I could only be out for about a minute or two. . . & then it felt like my nose was about to fall off! Sigh!. . . at time I really do miss Minnesota. . . but I don't miss the brutal cold!  Thankfully around mid-week it might even get all the way up to the low 20's!. . . Woo-hoo! Then we can spend all sorts of time outside!  ;o) 


Take care everyone!


Bren

10 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Glad you got there safely to be with your brother. You have such a positive attitude about our weather! Stay warm!

Darlene said...

Stay inside where it's warm, cozy & safe. :-)

I'm glad you arrived safe & sound and especially glad to hear that your brother is doing well.

Erin in MI said...

I'm glad to hear you made it there safely. I've been thinking of you all weekend. Congrats for making the local news! That's pretty awesome!

Sewn With Grace said...

So glad you made it there safely. I was thinking alot about you and wondering how long you were waiting. Love that you got interviewed. Will they let you know when it's airing? I bet your brother loves having you there. I'm definately trying that drink he loves. Still praying for him (and you!)

suz said...

Happy to hear your brother is doing well and that you arrived safely. How nice of them to plan a snow storm just for you! Stay inside and keep warm.

Thimbleanna said...

Yipee -- you made it! Enjoy the snow -- just perfect for that pre-Christmas holiday feeling!

Louise said...

I wondered if you made it when they showed film on the news of MN. My brother lives there so I always watch to see what weather he is getting..Cute story about the news crew..Have a wonderful visit and enjoy your nursing duties.

luvtoquilt said...

Oh, Brenda, I've been thinking about you all week. Glad to hear you arrived in one piece and I will pray for your safe trip home. I talked to my sister this morning in Minneapolis and she was trying to keep her sense of humor. She told me about walking around her townhouse in snow up to her waist trying to unclog her dryer vent. But I still can't talk her into moving out here to California. Minnesotans are a little nuts. Enjoy your visit with your brother -- sounds like he's coping.

Natalie Lymer said...

Bren, your photos of the snow are just amazing - I dream of a white Christmas every year, just like on the movies ;) I hope your Brother is on the mend, take care xo

Samantha said...

Glad you got there safely and that your brother is doing better. Have a safe trip home, too...